However for my part, how often should I change my oil is depending on my driving condition. For instance, my car operates at normal conditions the frequency I change my oil is every 6 months or equivalent to 5,000 km whichever comes first but it will only be applicable on my diesel engine car.
For my gasoline engine at normal operations I change my oil once a year or equivalent to 10,000 km whichever comes first.
But for those car owners that the driving condition is severe, the oil change frequency should be shortened to every 3 months or equivalent to 1000 km whichever comes first.
What are severe driving conditions? Well, severe driving conditions are as follows.
1) When driving on a dusty area.
2) When driving on a short distances always.
3) When driving with a towed vehicle.
4) When driving with an extensive idling.
5) Driving on adverse conditions or areas with extremely high or low temperatures.
6) Driving on mountain area or areas with high humidity.
7) Driving on areas with a presence of salt or corrosive materials.
8) Driving on a rough, muddy, or desert road.
9) Driving with a frequent braking.
10) Driving on water frequently.
So, with that said when someone asks you a question how often should I change my oil? Then, the answer is depending on your driving conditions or just follows what was indicated on your car owner’s manual.